It was about 1 year ago today that I was bobbing around in my LBB (little black bikini) drinking something spiked and delicious while cooling off in The Westin Keirland pool. About 2 drinks deep I looked at my beautiful besties and said, “I’m feeling a little bit crazy, and I want to start a fashion blog. Do you guys think I’m crazy? Is this a stupid idea?” They were all about it, mainly because we are a group of enablers and truly believe in each other. So the idea of We The Classy was born.
This is what I learned going from 0 – 10,000 followers in 1 year:
1. Social Media is a good thing. If you don’t like it, you aren’t doing it right. I have connected with the most amazingly talented individuals all over the world. I have learned so much more about compassion, about culture, and about making genuine connections that last…. All through social media.
2. There are no rules when creating your purpose. Seriously, there are no rules. I don’t know how other to say this, you learn other people’s rules. Try to carve your own path. Don’t let preconceived notions about what you can and can’t do stop you from accomplishing great things.
3. If you give, you shall receive in all areas of life.
4. Falling on your ass isn’t as bad as it seems. It’s easy to get back up when you are running towards something you want. Plus, there’s a reason your ass is nicely padded.
5. Taking chances on yourself gets easier with practice.
6. You are an expert. You are an expert at being you, don’t let anyone undervalue that.
7. Believe in your own expertise and what you have to offer this world.
8. Don’t underestimate being kind, even in situations where you would like to lose your shit. Don’t. Don’t let other people’s moods ruin opportunity.
9. Don’t compare yourself to others, it’s a massive waste of time and energy.
10. There’s always going to be haters. If they come knocking, don’t let them in. Let them stand outside. Anything they throw at you should bounce off your door onto them. Eventually, it will be obvious they are soaked in their own hate.
11. Don’t second guess yourself, you are probably right. And if you are wrong, being wrong was the right decision, because you had to learn from it. (comprende?)
12. Ask for help and let others teach you. Learn learn learn. Let people share their knowledge and experiences. Everyone has something to offer.
13. Appreciate. Send emails, text messages, notes… say thank you more than you have to. It’s the cheapest and most meaningful way of payment.